|Proposal – We will provide room and board in a comfortable private apartment within our facility in exchange for 40 hours on-the-job training per week in our shop.
Participants will learn by direct engagement with all of our production processes including - clay & glaze formulation & mixing, all clay forming techniques and participation in our complete glazing and firing cycle as well as full participation in our summer sales shop.
Studio facilities will be available for individual after working hours clay work.
My list of skills – I list below a brief overview. Anyone familiar with my work will confirm my lack of exaggeration. To put it simply – I have a great deal to offer any potential apprentice.
1. I am a skilled clay worker producing a full range of functional forms in a wide range of scales and materials using both traditional and hybrid clay forming processes and equipment.
2. I am a skilled kiln designer and builder who was employed and trusted to design and layout the range of kilns at Alfred University upon my graduation from Alfred, nearly 40 years ago.. I have built a great variety of kiln sizes and styles including car kilns, heat treat furnaces as well as highly efficient wood fired kilns.
3. I am a highly skilled furniture and cabinet maker as well as a skilled general carpenter, plumber, electrician and mason.
4. I am a skilled builder of traditional dog sleds.
5. I am a skilled traditional small boat builder.
6. I am a skilled traditional wood carver who makes and heat treats his own edge tooling.
7. I am a skilled auto mechanic and re-builder of vintage Land Rovers who has rebuilt and custom installed engines conversions.
8. I am a skilled welder and metal worker with a commercial duty water cooled tig welder and a full range of metal working tools and equipment.
9. I have designed and built much of our shop equipment – including wood shop stroke standers, belt grinders, dust collection equipment and wood working lathes as well as clay mixers and pug mills, spray booths, bead blasting machines, potter wheels and all manner of custom templates and clay shop tooling.
I have designing, developing plans and built two large self feeding stainless steel pug mills.
11. I am a skilled architect of high temperature clay bodies with a sound technical understanding of clay and glaze development and application.
12. With the essential assistance of my wife Liz and daughter Joanna, I have thirty nine years experience running a summer retail craft sales shop.
13. I am conversant in digital image editing, web development, page layout, CAD, and all associated hardware. My most recent top hat kiln was designed completely in the professional CAD environment Xenon before a single piece was fabricated.
14. I produce and print all of our hard copy marketing material from business cards to full double side tabloid cataloging.
15. I am a skilled photographer with extensive experience in both film and digital imaging.
16. I am a skilled web designer and developer who is entirely responsible for the production and development of our web site and all of its associated imaging and copy material.